Latest Posts

Making Sense of Suffering

By Saturday, August 05, 2017


I am sure all of us can relate with suffering, whether it’s through physical ailments, financial struggles, broken relationships, death of loved ones - the list goes on. I was particularly stretched to my limits of enduring suffering this year. It was one of the lowest points of my life. Life seemingly had no purpose as I was deeply drowned in the fact that I was suffering so much and there was no way out. But praise God that He is close to the brokenhearted (Psalm 34:18) and thanks to Him, I might have a glimpse of understanding on how our suffering is not meaningless in Him.

Stop Searching for the Reason
As part of my defense mechanism for making sense of suffering, I needed to justify why I had to go through so many of life’s struggles and challenges. Why me? Why this and not that? Why God why? I thought if I knew the reason behind all the suffering, it would make sense and make me feel better. It seemed like a natural response when faced with suffering. But it revealed how little faith I had in Him. Why do I need an answer or reason to trust Him after Jesus Himself went through the ultimate suffering? I failed to focus on God’s will, which is what Jesus perfectly exemplified in Gethsemane (Luke 22:42). Francis Chan’s quote from Job 11:7 sums up my first point: “Can you worship a God who isn’t obligated to explain His actions to you?”

I stopped searching for the reason of my struggles, and found myself reminded of completely trusting Him with whatever story He is creating through my life’s journey. (Jeremiah 29:11)

To be Purified as Gold
Suffering is part of refining our character as gold. I heard it a lot and believed it up until I went through it. Then I started doubting how it could possibly be good for me. But I was saved again by God’s unrelenting grace when suffering revealed my sins: how highly I think of myself and think that I don’t deserve all of life’s burdens. I wasn’t walking closely with Him. I wasn’t intimate with Him. Through utter dependence on Him, I was able to personalize the meaning of His character-building process in which He is sanctifying us from within for our own good. (James 1:2-4)

This is Not Our Home
There must be a place without suffering since we all long for that. And suffering is a constant reminder that this world is not our home. God never promised a life of comfort. If we look at the Bible, we see how everyone went through suffering and how it’s not the point. 

The point has always been how God is glorified in our life and that it is His story, not ours.

Paul’s bold statement “For me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain” (Philippians 1:21) shows how we ought to fix our eyes on Christ in our life while looking forward to eternal unity with Him after this “short” affliction on earth.

I am thankful that He is a sovereign God, for whatever happens, He is always in control. It is my current journey to really experience His miracle of joy and comfort in the midst of my struggles. I think this song is a really good reflection of what this post is all about. Enjoy! J

You Might Also Like

0 comments