Latest Posts

God Can Use All Things – Even Crappy Movies

By Tuesday, February 10, 2015


Sometimes God humbles us using the things or people we least expect. He can use all things, even crappy movies.

In the summertime, when there was a surge of Christian or Bible-related stories hitting mainstream theaters in North America, I was intrigued and watched a Christian-themed movie called “God’s Not Dead”. The movie stars a college freshman who feels that his Christian faith is contested and challenged by his philosophy professor who strongly advocates that “God is dead”. The remainder of the movie depicts the freshman and professor both debating their sides of this well-trodden debate and ultimately, with the freshman winning over his philosophy class. A series of subplots also happened simultaneously and the culmination of the movie ends with a bang at a Newsboys concert, with everyone rocking out to the NewsboysGod’s Not Dead” which they dedicate to the freshman who is seen as a role model of standing up for his faith.

To be honest, I thought it was a terrible movie. Every stereotypical characteristic that was placed on Christians and non-Christians seems to have been thoroughly employed. From the unyielding atheist professor (who really was angry at God for the loss of his mother) to the stubborn and unrelenting freshman, it was the epitome of clichés. Against the backdrop of this main plot, the simultaneous subplots were equally as typical. In other words, every line from the movie was virtually predicable and silly. 

So imagine my great surprise when my mom told me over the phone one day that she also watched the movie. My surprise came in twofold, one, that my mom actually watched an English movie (as in, English speaking) as this is rare and far in-between, and two, that she actually liked it. In fact, she enjoyed the movie so much that she proceeded to watch it again with my dad when he came home from work. Trying my best to hide my surprise over the phone, I was curious as to what she saw in the movie that I did not. She proceeded to tell me that it showed her things about my environment as a North-American university student and the norms of my life at school, and Christian young adults as well. To be honest, she has never really set foot into a North-American university aside from the one that I attend and was truthfully, quite ignorant to its workings and environment. I began to explain that the movie was not really a good comparison for the realities of life as a Christian in university, but realized that it was undeniable that it was definitely through this movie that she came to appreciate the environment in which I live in and empathized with certain struggles faced by me as a Christian on campus. This was quite a big revelation to her as her typical work environment was very far removed from my own, and as much as I tried to describe to her the different worlds we faced, she never seemed to quite able to fully visualize it.

After some other banal chatter about other random events throughout the day, we ended our conversation, however I was left with this sense of slight bewilderment at the drastic difference of opinion my mom and I had about the same movie. This movie actually helped her understand something that I was unable to show her for many years. I just couldn't get that idea out of my head.

It left me with a strange feeling, the kind of feeling you get when you’re on the edge of a slight breakthrough in thought. I was humbled by my mother’s words and all the great things she learned from this movie. She went in without any criticism or prejudgment and watched the movie with the simple expectation of learning more about God through it. I believe God really did honour her expectations, and she did receive what she was looking for.  Perhaps if I went in with those expectations, I would have received more from this experience.

And I then realized: if I really believe in a God that is omnipotent, all able, then surely He is able to use all things. If He really is the Creator of all things, then in some way, all things, point to Him.

Keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. – Mat7:7

For those earnestly seeking the Truth, I believe that He will reveal Himself to them. Perhaps, using even the most unlikely of situations, the most unassuming people and things! In fact, using the most unassuming of things, people and situations is really in line with his character: using mere fishermen and tax collectors to spread his gospel, a mere shepherd, considered the least among his brothers to lead his people Israel, and even God Almighty was born in the most humblest of places and had the simple profession of a carpenter. Heck, He even uses us, these broken people, for good. (How cool is that!?) Using things that most people overlook can show His glory and He can be glorified while we are humbled.

All to say, this experience led me once again to realize that His ways are far above my ways. He can use all things to show his glory and majesty, and I certainly should not underestimate any little thing that he chooses to use, even crappy movies J

You Might Also Like

0 comments