Latest Posts

Being An Introverted Christian

By Tuesday, March 17, 2015



For some introverts, a church can be a scary place. Most people seem happy and outgoing all the time while for introverts like myself, this can all be a bit overwhelming. Standing up to show that you're a newcomer, mingling with people in the church hall and praying with a stranger are good in essence, but they have always been a little daunting to me.

With how extroversion seems like the favored personality by the society, introverts are prone to lack of self-confidence and doubting themselves. Over the past few years, through some breakdowns, observation and God's gracious guidance, I have learned a few things about my own introversion and how it can actually be a blessing in disguise.

I found myself drawn to those who sit in the corner by themselves, or those who don't speak up as frequently. The fact that they are quiet or introverted lessens the pressure for me to socialize with them and encourages me to make them feel that they belong and are included. From personal experience, I know it means so much to an introvert to know that someone cares, despite their shyness or reserved manner. Thanks to my introversion, I can easily relate and be more sympathetic towards others like me.

I believe we shouldn't be too far off on either side of a spectrum. No matter how exhilarated you feel by being around others, some solitary moments for reflection would in fact do you much good. Reversely, being on your own all the time would not expose you to how you can serve your purpose in your community and is not truly beneficial to you in the long run.

As we are called to make disciples of all nations (Matt 28:19), I see the necessity for introverts to at times, step out of their comfort zones, though not at the expense of losing themselves or unique personalities. I have been learning to force myself out of my little bubble in the times when I see that it brings much help to others. I am practicing and exercising my self-introductions, initiating conversations, and sharing my own story all in the hope of being able to share the Gospel better and to simply love my neighbor. Frankly, it is hard to imagine how to love others if we shut ourselves off from the world. Nonetheless, I stay true to myself and I don't try to be someone I am not. I stretch myself to the limit where fighting my introversion can bring something to the table.

The Great Commission is unfeasible if we don't practice acting out our care for others. I am now learning to go deep, as opposed to wide in forming relationships. One of the things I try to do now is to be vulnerable to others so others can be vulnerable to me as well (for trust and deeper bonds with each other), instead of merely being acquainted and not knowing others to a more personal level.

While I struggle with my social ineptitude, God has taught me to embrace my personality and love my uniqueness that God has created. It is true: God can use all things. He even uses the weak for His glory. My imperfection doesn't seem so bad with God on my side.

"For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions and calamities. For when I am weak, I am made strong." - 2 Corinthians 12:10 (emphasis added)

You Might Also Like

0 comments